Fair Oaks Historical Society

Virtual Walking Tour

Community Clubhouse

Across from the Slocum House up the hill is the Fair Oaks Community Clubhouse. First built in 1902 as the second Fair Oaks Elementary School, it served at times as both elementary and high school. The last classes were held in 1928 when the new brick school at Fair Oaks Boulevard and Winding Way was built. The Parks District then took over the building as a community center.

In 1938 the building was razed as a federal WPA (Works Project Administration) project. The bell tower was removed and the rest of the building was torn down and replaced by the current structure. The only part of the original building that remains is the basement which still serves as a meeting facility.