About 1920


Location: 3909 Orangewood Drive, Fair Oaks
Date of construction: 1915 - 1920
Architecture: Side-gabled, Craftsman eclectic
Previous Owners: ?, Arthur White, ?, J.A. Zwierzynski, Richard McCarter
Present Owners: William and Lisa Hughes and their family

This charming, older home originally had an address on Magnolia Ave. The home had a u-shaped front driveway, lined with palm trees that now encircle the perimeter of the spacious backyard. The front door now faces Orangewood Dr., which was once the back of the home.

A former resident says that Dr. Joseph H. Buffum built the home for his daughter when she married. His mansion was across the street.

In 1941, the Arthur White family (Pete's dad) purchased the 2-story home and 2-story barn situated on 15 acres. There were 10 acres of olive trees, 5 acres of orange trees as well as 3 or 4 noisy peacocks. The address was Rural Route 123 and the phone # was Fair Oaks 123. The home was called "Red Top House" or the "Hill Top House" because it was built on the highest elevation on Magnolia Ave.

The home presently has 3 bedrooms upstairs and a playroom. Downstairs there are 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a formal dining room and living room plus a den/family room. In older times it had a screened wrap-around porch. It has a full concrete basement.

When Aerojet Corporation caused property values to increase, Mr. White subdivided the 15 acres. The home was sold and new owners did some remodeling in 1975. The house then fell into disrepair. A Mr. McCarter did renovations to the house in the mid-90's. The home was purchased by the Hughes in 1996 who are in the process of restoring the home and grounds. They have already made many improvements including the addition of a landscaped pool area . It is a pleasure to see a young and growing family enjoy their home. If you have more/correct information on the "Hill Top House," please contact Jim or Marilyn Pearce.

Credit goes to Jane Whitnack and Pete White for writing this article.