On both sides of the tree are John Holst and his wife Rose.
John Holst can truly be considered the patriarch of Fair Oaks.
He came here from Minnesota in 1895, bought property, and
built a house before the rush of excursionists in late 1895.
His first house was just north of the Fair Oaks School. John
was an orchardist and merchant. He ran general
merchandise stores downtown in the Murphy Building. He
was a stockholder in the Fair Oaks Fruit Company and the
first Fair Oaks Bank. He was on the Board of Directors for
the Fair Oaks Fruit Company, the Methodist Church, the Fair
Oaks School, and was the first Registrar of Voters, as well
as the first voter. John left behind one of the best historical
accounts of early Fair Oaks. He is buried here with his wife,