At the corner of Main Street and Capitola Avenue, on the northeast
corner was the Fair Oaks Hotel, set up quickly in November 1895 to
provide shelter for the potential buyers who came from back east
to buy property in the new colony. The buyers came on the railroad
to Sacramento, were wined and dined by the local Sacramentans, sent
on the railroad to Folsom where they boarded “Tally-Ho” wagons to
Fair Oaks. The hotel fell into disrepair in the late 1910’s and was
purchased by the Broadley family who used the lumber to build their
family home. It still stands and is the headquarters of Broadley
Across the street on the northwest corner of Capitola and Main was Levi
Plumbing. They occupied the first floor and the Grange Hall was on the
second floor which was used as the school, church, and meeting hall
from 1896 to 1900.
Proceed west on Capitola Avenue and stop at the top of the hill about
a block away.